While I hope it's baseless, a positive and strong reaction shouldn't hurt.

If it's not a defense, at least it could serve as a preemptive strike.

While I agree with the NSF director (?) that nothing or very little is
actually free, and that even if the backbone were not funded very little
would change, I do worry about strange contract requirements being forced
on providers.

The ANS 'gateway' charge provisions are irritating enough.  At least I can
buy from Cerfnet and (I think) Sprint link and have basically no restrictions.
I can resell ip bandwidth, etc.

Some people seem to think that they are going to outlaw free access, no
matter who pays.  I don't see how this would make sense.  Community funded
free nets for instance pay commercial providers most of the time.

Let's hope the commercial providers don't shoot themselves in the foot
by lobbying for the wrong thing.

I think that there's a good chance that if any part of the network becomes
tainted, the rest will isolate it and grow up around it without restrictions.

I am worried about telephone company tariff attacks.  Especially when
there is enough bandwidth to allow bypassing or amalgamating phone traffic.

--
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager
LIG dev./sales       Internet: [log in to unmask] CIS [log in to unmask]