(I just posted this to comp.sources.wanted and misc.wanted; thought I'd
post it here also.)

:Subject: Wanted: Electronic Calendar Program
:Newsgroups: comp.sources.wanted,misc.wanted

I am looking for a program that would enable various arts and
performance groups to help schedule their events better.  (This would
be for the Seattle Community Network, a planned Free-Net along the
lines of the Cleveland Free Net.)  About the only thing like this I am
aware of is Sun's Calendar Manager, which has the severe drawbacks of
(a) only running on a (EXPENSIVE) Sun workstation display, and (b)
probably not being able to handle the hundreds (maybe thousands) of
events that would be scheduled very efficiently.

The program should be able to satisfy as much of the following as
possible:

I.      Should run under most common varieties of UNIX
II.     Should handle MANY events being scheduled (at least several hundred)
III.    Should NOT require any fancy windowing system.  Must run on a normal
        ASCII terminal.
IV.     Should be user-friendly enough that people who are not computer
        experts can be easily trained in its use.
IV.     Be useful for scheduling arts & entertainment events
        A.      Let users search for a particular event (i.e.
                when is Queen Ida coming to Seattle next?)
        B.      Let users see when a facility is in use (i.e.
                what events are scheduled at the Opera House on
                June 16th?)
        C.      Let users see events of a certain type (i.e. show all
                jazz concerts happening in the next week).
V.      Not require lots of central administration
        A.      Should allow accounts responsible for a certain kind of
                event to add and delete those events.  (It would be a BIG
                minus for write access to the calendar database to be an
                all-or-nothing situation and require a dedicated "calendar
                administrator" person.)
        B.      Should not let the above accounts mess with entries they
                are not responsible for.
        C.      Be able to give read-only access to other users.

Please E-mail responses (and requests for summaries of responses) to me;
I will summarize if there is enough interest.

David Barts  N5JRN                      UW Civil Engineering, FX-10
[log in to unmask]                Seattle, WA  98195