>People in the ToasterNet movement might take issue with Stephen Wolff's
>statement that:
>
>"a lively and competitive commercial market in Internet carriage has emerged"
>
>In point of fact, if you are interested in reselling IP, there are a very
>limited number
>of providers who are willing to connect you. The vast majority of Internet
>providers
>
>now require signing a non-competition agreement before providing service. This
>includes
>
>regional providers who were as of 1992 receiving subsidies from the NSF.

Come on, America, grow up!

My node (!) costs me $ 50 a month ($ 100 for 'unlimited' access) via a
commercial IP provider and I can have as many mailboxes as I want...

BTW

It is the *only* commercial IP provider (the full works - ftp, telnet etc.)
over here...

Seems to me that the fuss is all about having to pay for what Uncle Sam
subsidised in the past...

                      Frans Hoffman - [log in to unmask]
                    the end-user is the center of Cyberspace