Mike Nelson has been described to me by a knowledgable source as Al Gore's
alter-ego on NREN since 1988.

A geo-physics PhD he comes to NREN from it's BIG SCIENCE and research origins.
He is indeed a key player who is being very tight lipped.  His address is
[log in to unmask]  The address says something about where his interests appear
to me to lie.

I have been following NREN full time for almost 3 years.  Exactly *WHO* is setting policy is not nearly as clear to me as I would have hoped.  I have my
suspicions -they include IBM- but I am not prepared to indict the entire
telecom industry.

There *IS* a bandwagon under way and some grass roots input is sorely needed.
Let me go back to Tom Grunder's essay on why he does not support NREN.  One
of the best I have seen.