Yes, Nelson has been a MAJOR spokesman for this for years.

No I don't think they have a clue about NII either.

NRENaissance is a full fledged national academy of sciences study that got
under way in March of this year.  It is designed to chart the course of NREN
for the next 5 years.  Will be done summer or fall of NEXT year.

Panel members are roughly equally divided between high end reesearch academics
and executives of the telecom industry.  One notable addition to the panel
is Connie Stout from COSN and Texas.  Connie is the only panel member in my
opinion at least who comes from a bona-fide grass roots orientation.

Steve wolff on com-priv indicated that the study was asked for bythe NSF which
also asked (for the sake of continuity) that the membership be kept the
same as the 1989 national academy study called I think Toward a National
Research Network.

I have heard a hypothesis that NII will be a green light for telcos and cable
to deliver entertainment to the home with the idea that there may be some
trickle down of profits that could be put to uses that interest those of us
on this list.

The Fedreal Government is bankrupt.  I fear that it is wishful thinking to
suppose that there will be significant money for what we are interested in.