On Tue, 10 Aug 1993, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> If you're going for dumb terminals in your Freenet project I suggest
> that you get something like VT100 compatible terminals since that
> means that the user can connect to almost any BBS with them. Almost
> all BBSes assumes that you got something appearing as an DEC VT100.
> Try calling the local office of Digital and ask them if they got some
> used VT100s somewhere. I bet they do. If you want some hardware to run
> the actual Freenet on, I bet they have a couple of vintage VAXen
> around as well, so if you have a big budget for electricity you could
> get a VAX 11/750 or something like that as well.

I have to agree.  I've bought used terminals over the years, and the
price I've paid has kept going down and down.  The most recent price I
paid was $0.00 -- the guy was glad I was going to haul them away for
free instead of having to pay for a special trash pick-up.

A minor nit regarding VAX 11/750 -- they're not power pigs.  You must
be thinking of the 11/780 (or, as a friend once asked me "Why does the
VAX I just bought have _four_ connectors on its power cord?")

> I have a couple of friends with VAXen as home computers, but they got
> unmetered electricity so they can afford it. Ask around, there's lots
> and lots of hardware out there for free... at least for a rpoject like
> a Freenet.

David Barts  N5JRN                      UW Civil Engineering, FX-10
[log in to unmask]                Seattle, WA  98195
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' |dc