> >motherboards from upgraded computers lying everywhere.  Corporations may
> >be different but I bet the big ones with a lot of old hardware have the
> >same problem unless someone in administration decides to deal with it.
>
> On the other hand there are places like ours who never get rid of old
> equipment because we NEED EVERYTHING WE CAN GET!  We're still using our 1983

I may have been too strong in wording.  We don't have *that* many but if
my one dept. has a few then the Univ. as a whole has a lot.  It is not
that they could not be used anywhere else, some are used for datalogging,
etc.  But the state bureaucracy is so convoluted it is very difficult to
jettison those we don't need.  It is not that we are plus with money.  We
are in a worse recession than much of the mainland.  It started later.  It
is just an XT or AT is really not much good (or *any* good) running SAS
statistics, etc. in a research environment.

> IBM PC's for Family Therapy students to write case notes with (WordPerfect).
> We use 286 machines in most professors offices because they typically only
> use WordPerfect and a some TCP/IP stuff like telnet and FTP.  We use some

I would like to know what is in the administrators' offices.  Many of the
machines left over here are those thrown out by the admin. so they can
have the hottest '486/Mac on their desktop when all they ever do is some
wordprocessing and email.  I have to give credit to my dept. chair.  He
realized he did not need the latest and hottest so passed over the chance
to grab it and let the new machine go to where it could be used the best.

> Next time I come to Hawaii I'll be by to pick up some you're not using!

Ha, you would never get them!  I don't have the hours to fill out the
paperwork.  Then you would have to wait 6 months for them to come pick it
up.  Then another 6 months to a year before it was warehoused and put up
for auction.  Then you can bid on it.  But most of us never get to the
point of filling out the paperwork.  I respect 3M Corp. (as mentioned in
another message) for having a department to deal with it.  I am sure they
could be used somewhere in the system but .....