Hummmm... the messages about 'technodumps' etc. have really been flying.
I really need to introduce myself since I have been on here for some time
and haven't yet.  I will do it 'real soon now'.

Anyway, I totally agree with what many have said that it is what you do
with equipment.  My idea, not well expressed so far, is that the schools
should say what they need.  If they can use old machines, great.  Then it
is not a dump.  If they also need some new items, then attempts should be
made to supply them.  I certainly do not think they, or anyplace, should
be flooded with the latest and greatest just to see only a portion of it
used either in toto or in capability.  Some thought must be put into what
is needed and how it will be used.  A machine to just act as connection to
the Internet could easily be an XT or old Mac with a small hard disk.
They will handle a 9.6K modem (the serial port in the XT will not handle
above that though).

I think the 'dump' term comes from well-meaning folks giving a bunch of
old equipment to someplace and expecting glee at the other end.  Just
pushing off old equipment without thought to what is needed and can be
used is surely dumping.  But if it is needed and requested or accepted,
then no, it is not dumping.

Scott Campbell
Univ. of Hawaii
Agronomy and Soil Science