>>Gather computers and modems people are willing to give away or sell cheap,
>>and set them up for basic telecomputing. And sell/give them to communet
>>subscribers who can't afford a computer and modem. (Somebody's probably
>>already doing this.)
>
>  I like this idea much better: PCs and XTs go for 100-150 with a
>small hard disk.

Are these new or used?

>And at least, you can do something esle, like
>wordprocessing, accounts managememt, game playing..
>
>alex khalil

I don't know much of anything about IBM-compatibles. How cheaply can the
most basic of them be bought new and used? Does something make the
Volkswagen Beetle of IBM-compatibles (assembled or in kit form)?

Does anyone make a chip - or a small set of chips - that contain most or
all of the motherboard electronics on the most basic IBM-compatible? If so,
how much does it cost in quantity?

It might pay to assemble the terminals from new parts; we'd be dealing with
one known quantity, rather than a range of terminals and computers.

On user disk storage (floppy/hard drive on user's terminal/computer vs.
user's file area on the information service's hard disk.):

I see these terminals being used mostly for mail and community information
services (Free-Nets, gopher, etc.) and news. I don't save information I've
found on a gopher; I rely on the server to keep it. I don't very often save
information from newsgroups; I can save only the header and look it up
later in the group's archive.

So that leaves mail.

Tom
Tom Newman