I though I'd mention something about the French Minitel that David
Rothman, and some others, just recently posted about. The Minitel
terminal is not only just that, a terminal, but it's also a videotex
terminal, that is a terminal with 40 columns of characters and block
graphics, very much like text TV. It's terrible!

Sure, another standard, beside the british Prestel standard for
videotex is common in Europe. That's the CEPT standard, but it doesn't
do much good either. I don't know what happened to the American NAPLPS
standard that showed up during the early eighties, but I don't think
any present system is using that standard. NAPLPS was really
interesting btw, it had real graphics and possibilities to utilize
mouse movement input. That sort of thing. Of course, most of the
implementors of vidoetext system chose another system because NAPLPS
required some intelligence in the terminal.

Ah, then there's the Japanese CAPTAIN system, but I don't know much
about that... Perhaps someone else could fill in?

Miekael <[log in to unmask]>

void *mind; /* We're all void pointers... */