On Tue, 17 Aug 1993, miekael wrote:

> David, you seem to belive that most of my dislike for the Minitel
> system is that it uses a terminal. This is not true. What I disliked
> the most is the actual terminal, the Vidoetex terminal with it's
> terrible block graphics and letters.

I myself hate the terrible, childish letters on the Prodigy service. Of
course I'd want TeleReader users to choose the sizes and styles of the
characters.

> The Swedish telephone company has had a Videotex system running a long
> time now, and the latest investment, TeleGuide, has just turned off
> the last terminal. *evil grin* I think the single reason this system
> broke down was that people interested in computer technology simply
> puked on the system. I mean, if they had uses *ordinary* character
> based terminal when they started the Videotex experiment back in the
> early eighties I think they would have gotten a lot more users.

Same point I made re Minitel toys vs. PCs. You're absolutely right.

> Of course, their terrible page based software was a part of the
> failure as well. I guess a lot more people would have used the system
> if it had been menu based or had simply provided a command line with a
> straigthforward help system.

Agreed!

(David reads ahead and keeps nodding his head.)

> Things like e-mail was missing as well. Sure, there was some way of
> sending messages to each other within the system, but you had to
> remember something like 11147111, 187827878293 to be able to send a
> single message. The number above is supposed to be a user ID. Arrgh...
>
> Miekael <[log in to unmask]>
>
> void *mind; /* We're all void pointers... */

(Reminder to innocent onlookers: It's no big deal for me to e-mail copies
of the latest version of teleread.txt.)

David H. Rothman                                  "So we beat on, boats against
[log in to unmask]                                 the current...."
805 N. Howard St., #240
Alexandria, Va. 22304
703-370-6540(o)(h)