> I though I'd mention something about the French Minitel that David
> Rothman, and some others, just recently posted about. The Minitel
> terminal is not only just that, a terminal, but it's also a videotex
> terminal, that is a terminal with 40 columns of characters and block
> graphics, very much like text TV. It's terrible!
>
> Sure, another standard, beside the british Prestel standard for
> videotex is common in Europe. That's the CEPT standard, but it doesn't
> do much good either. I don't know what happened to the American NAPLPS
> standard that showed up during the early eighties, but I don't think
> any present system is using that standard. NAPLPS was really
> interesting btw, it had real graphics and possibilities to utilize
> mouse movement input. That sort of thing. Of course, most of the
> implementors of vidoetext system chose another system because NAPLPS
> required some intelligence in the terminal.
>
> Ah, then there's the Japanese CAPTAIN system, but I don't know much
> about that... Perhaps someone else could fill in?
>
> Miekael <[log in to unmask]>

There are a number of CEPT standards (Conference of European Posts and
Telecommunications), the lowest of which is as described, the best is similar
to the best NAPLPS. French Minitel do supply a terminal, but it is also
possible to use an emulator on a PC (and a Mac for the UK Prestel system).
There are also a large number of suppliers making ruggedised public terminals.
I hold no brief for videotex, but it does fill a need (especially at the low
end). Some can include 'video photos'. My interest is the 'Electronic Public
Information Provision' seminar held here on 28.9.93

* Goff Sargent                                  Tel: + 44 509 223075         *
* Dept of Information and Library Studies       Fax: + 44 509 223053         *
* Loughborough University of Technology                                      *
* Loughborough, Leicestershire LE11 3TU         E-mail [log in to unmask] *
* UK                                                                         *