On Thu, 12 Aug 1993, miekael wrote:

> The RIP grahpics you're talking about sounds like a nice hack. It
> reminds me of two things: first that such a system has been present
> for the Macintosh for ages and secondly it reminds me of graphical
> MUDs like Regenesis that Bram Stolk runs at Lysator. Clients are
> available for X, Amiga and PC I think if anyone cares to try it out.

The last part I do not know about but this type of thing for Macs has
*not* been available for some time.  Macs do not have anything close as
far as I know or have seen.  I just saw an ad for a Windows client for a
Mac BBS system software.  I think the price was $375.  Now tell me, what
average BBS or Free-net user is going to spend that kind of money for a
graphical interface?  Very few.  My BBS software costs less than $200 for
the BBS with RIP installed.  The user usually gets the user version free
with their com software like Telix although the comm program may cost.

I think we are talking about very different things here.

> However, I have a few questions about RIP graphics. I guess it's a
> nice system for transfering files and things like that, but how does
> it work when it comes to messages? How does the system represent the
> threads in conferences?

Again, we are talking about very different things.  RIP is a graphical
protocol and not specifically BBS software.  It is an add-on.  All you ask
about is part of the BBS package and those are too varied to comment on.
All menus, etc. can be RIPped and this just replaces the standard menu
type of interface with a graphical one that is mouse-able.

> The reason I'm curious is because I've got a pretty well-defined
> protocol between server and client in my Integrator hack, and how the
> client behaves is no business of mine. So if anyone wants to do a WIMP
> system client they can feel free to do so, just as long they keep to
> my protocol. I'm just curious how such a client would behave and how
> it would present the threads, the messages et cetera on the screen.
> Would it be a little tree of icons? Something else?

It depends on the implementation.  Threads on the system I am familiar
with are accessed through clicking on the "thread' icon and moving forward
or backwards.  Again RIP is an add-on and not something in itself.  The
client and server often work together since the icons normally reside on
the client and do not need to be retransmitted every time.  The survey can
query the client to see if all icons are present and then download those
the client/user needs to use the system effectively.  Some users may not
like that since the remote system *is* looking in your hard disk
directory/s.  Can be unsettling.

The BBSes using RIP usually have both options available to users...
standard ASCII/ANSI menus or RIP.

I. Scott Campbell, Ph.D.            Internet: [log in to unmask]
Crop Management Information Spec.     Bitnet: [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Agronomy and Soil Science      CBIS: (808) 956-2626    _______
University of Hawaii at Manoa          Voice: (808) 956-6971    { . , }
1910 East-West Rd.                       Fax: (808) 956-2618     ( | )
Honolulu, HI 96822                           or     956-6539     ^===^