Not to set off a panic, but I met and spoke to a medical educator from
Britain (England, specifically) in June at a conference, and he described
a great deal of instability and pessimism about the academic medical
center / hospital situaltion in the UK.  Apparently, economics has driven
alot of consolidation and merging of teaching programs, resulting in
significant job reductions and a a general feeling of uncertainty about the
future.

I don't know how this would affect house staff, but I hope the person
interested in this information has a realistic idea of how medical
education and healthcare currently stands in UK communities.

Any other opinions that shed light on this would be appreciated.