This message is being posted to the AUTOCAT list and MEDLIB-L list at SUNY
(Buffalo) and to the SLAITE-L list.  I apologize to those who will receive
more than one copy.

I am a library paraprofessional currently working as a contractor with the
Information Center of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in
Atlanta, GA.  I have several years of library experience, and I intend on
pursuing an MLS upon completion of by BA.

I am interested in the roles that paraprofessionals play in various types of
libraries. Here are some questions to think about:

What portion of your library staff is made up by paraprofessionals?

What roles do paraprofessionals play in the day-to-day operations of your
institution?

What role do you think that paraprofessionals will play in libraries in the
future?

What sort of training or certification could be offered in undergraduate or
technical schools that would better prepare people to work as
paraprofessionals in libraries?

Please respond DIRECTLY to me at [log in to unmask]  I will compile
the responses and post the results on these three lists.

Thank you,

Jay Popphan
Cadence Group Associates
Chamblee Information Center
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Atlanta, GA