I direct the Library at a 450 med acute care community hospital. We have
a library committee which is a subcommittee of the continuing education
committee of the medical staff. Organizationally it is separate from the
hospital administration. Ideally it functions as a steering committee, in
reality it functions more as a liason between the hospital administration
and the medical staff. We do have interdisciplinary representation from
the hospital departments and I act as referee and consultant. Selection is
my responsibilty but I do report my budget. We meet 4 times a year, more often
if there is a crisis. We met frequently while building our new facility. The
committee can be a real nuisance but it has been a real help just as often.