/public/VirtualReality/HITL/papers/tech-reports/medVR.txt.  She notes that
this is an ascii file, and is in the process of updating the report.

2.  Prothero, J. (1993).  Unpublished technical report.  Seattle, WA: Human
Interface Technology Lab.  Available via anonymous ftp at ftp.u.washington.edu
/public/VirtualReality/HITL/papers/misc/vrmedicine.ps.  She notes that this
is a postcript file.

3.  For a general bibliography that contains Telemedicine and Virtual
Surgery Simulation Citations:

Emerson, Toni.  (1993).  Virtual Interface Technology: Selected Citations
from the Literature.  Technical Report B-93-2.  Seattle, WA: Human Interface
Technology Lab.  Available via anonymous ftp at ftp.u.washington.edu
/public/VirtualReality/HITL/papers/tech-reports/emerson-B-93-1.ps

Available in ascii, emerson-B-93-1.txt.

For more information, you can contact Toni directly at her e-mail address:

Charles Stinson, M.D., at the University of California San Francisco,
Langley Porter Institute is working on multimedia research and educational
tools (descriptions eventually to be published in Psychiatry) which "would
allow examination in varying levels of detail many aspects of human
interactional behavior".  He had some ideas about ways to use this
technology in psychiatry, although no actual applications.  He can be
contacted at e-mail address: [log in to unmask]

Dean Sittig, Ph.D. at Vanderbilt University, Center for Biomedical
Informatics suggested contacting John Jachna at the University of Arizona,
email [log in to unmask], saying he has developed a simulation on the
mac for residents.  I assume it is in the area of psychiatry, since that was
my original area of interest.

Larry Hodges and others at the Graphics, Visualization and Usability Center
at the Georgia Institute of Technology are currently working on a Phobia
Project, using virtual reality to help patients work through their
acrophobia.  They plan to begin actual patient therapy sessions in the fall
in conjunction with Dr. Barbara Rothbaum in the School of Psychiatry at
Emory University Medical School.  To contact Larry for more information,
e-mail him at [log in to unmask]

Peter Ratiu, M.D. at the University of Washington School of Medicine, Dept.
of Biological Structure, has developed 3D reconstructions of the brain being
used for language mapping.  He says that the School of Nursing has developed
a multimedia software concerned with dyslex (contact Jodie Haselkorn a
[log in to unmask]).  Peter is also working on some other interesting
multimedia applications of virtual reality in medicine.  To contact him
directly, e-mail him at [log in to unmask]

Bob Smith, VP, Systems, Helpnet, Inc. suggested contacting Peter Rothman's
Virtual Reality Forum on the WELL.  Peter is coordinator for that forum.
His address is [log in to unmask]

There will be the First World Congress on Computational Medicine, Public
Health and Biotechnology, 24-28 April 1994 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in
Austin Texas.  To receive conference information, contact Matthew Witten at
e-mail [log in to unmask]

Tony Austin ([log in to unmask]) just did a research paper on VR and
mentioned various uses of this technology, including "Virtual Cadavers" for
medical students, "endoscopic VR surgery of the gall bladder,", use of VR to
allow physically challenged people to do walk-throughs of potential
architectural renderings to see if they are "wheelchair friendly."  He
recommends several books on the subject:  Silicon Mirage: The Art and
Science of Virtual Reality, by Steve Aukstakalnis and David Blatner, and
Virtual Reality: Through the Looking Glass by Ken Pimental and Kevin
Texeira.  For more information, contact Tony directly.

I hope people will find this summary helpful.  Hopefully I have not made too
many typos!

Debbie Skolnik
Medical Librarian
Suburban Hospital