The Medical Library at Crawford Long Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia still
has a library committee.  The group serves as an advisory body, and a
liason to supply information needs from the respective medical specialty
areas.  Our committee is charged with having a meeting twice a year.
However, the chair of the committee is a physician with a very hectic
calendar.  The library committee is also the Medical Education Committee.
In the past very little time was spent discussing or even reviewing library
concerns.  When I arrived at Crawford Long in Sept. 92,  I made contact with
the chairperson of the committee and sent him an extensive agenda of
library concerns and programs to be included on the meeting agenda.  At
the actual meeting I received a very good response to the information
presented.  Our committee seems to have an active interest in the library.
The committee is given the opportunity to review selection list and
respond, question, or whatever.  They do not make the selections but they
do review proposed list and offer advise on the selection.  New Programs
and projects are always brought to their attention so that they can inform
their respective specialty area colleagues at their regular meetings.  I
think the committee has a definite role, especially when the library needs
a political ally.

I also, consult for Henry General Hospital, where the library committee
is live and well.  They serve basically the same function, but they
actually approve selection list and capital purchases, etc.

Rosalind Lett