        Judith Martin is simply referrinf to what people should
call other people in public. What I think of some of the
"Gentle Readers" is both unkind and obscene, and in either
case unprintable here. However, "Gentle Readers" with a smile
will do in public and in reports.
        In your case, perhaps "Gentle Listener" or "Gentle Walker"
or "Gentle Dissectionists". Medical Students have always been
cut-ups....

lee hadden
usgs library

        Ms. Manners call 'em "Gentle Readers".

lee hadden
usgs library
        Ms. Manners hasn't been in a medical school library the first
          few days of orientation when 150 students all want to take
          the library walkman tour (we have 10 walkmen) and do their
          library exercises at the same time.  I think it's worse than
          a closeout sale at Macy's bargain basement(well, there used
          to be bargains). "Gentle Readers" - not even close.

          Tom Williams