The White House
Health Care Reform Today
September 20, 1993

*    Today, President Clinton and the First Lady will join more
than 100 doctors to talk about the Health Security Act.  Joining
them and speaking will be the former Surgeon General, Dr. C.
Everett Koop.

*    This week, as we head towards the President's speech on
Wednesday night, we'll be giving you our suggestions on how to
talk about health care.  The basics of how what we say centers
around these six principles:  Security, Savings, Simplicity ...
Quality, Responsibility and Choice.

*    Guaranteeing comprehensive benefits that can never be taken
away. Controlling health care costs for consumers, business and
our nation. Improving the quality of American health care.
Increasing choices for consumers. Reducing paperwork and
simplifying the system. Making everyone responsible for health
care.

*    In America, rights and responsibilities go hand-in-hand. We
will ask everybody to pay something, even if your contribution is
small. Everyone must assume responsibility. No one should get a
free ride.  Most important, we're going to offer new
opportunities and new incentives for people to stay healthy --
and to treat small problems before they become big ones. Our goal
should be to keep people healthy, not treat them after they
become sick.

*    While others are not drawing any lines in the sand on the
details of the plan, the NFIB sure did.  NFIB head Jack Faris
made that clear in Friday's New York Times.  He said:  "We
checked the Constitution, and we don't see where it gives you the
right to universal health insurance."  Basically, the NFIB is
saying to everyone who currently does not have health care or is
at risk of losing their health care to drop dead.  But then
again, the NFIB has been predicting the end of the world as they
know it since at least 1962.

To find out more about the anon service, send mail to [log in to unmask]
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to [log in to unmask]