We have gone around and around this issue of "copyright" and
storing search results and search strategies.  In actual
fact there are really two issues.  One of them is copyright and
the other is licencing.  THe licencing is dtabase producer
specific.  NLM has some of the most flexibile licening plicies.
However we have found that each database producer has a different
licencing policy for keeping their search results.  The copyright
issue has more to do with the creator of the information and as
such is protected by federal legislation and not the licence
agreements.  When you are deciding whether or not to keep
search results you must realize that by signing contracts to
use the databases, you agree to comply with the vendors
and database producers licencing restrictions.
For copyright, where things may not be protected by licencing,
the issue usually revolves around what is a substantial part
or whterh it is fair use.  While databases like Medline would
seem to be "in the public domain" because they are created by
the government agencies, we need to remember that a part of
75% of the records is the abstract which in fact was created by
the author of the org\
the author of the original article.  I am not sure this makes
things that much clearer but it helps to know that there are
many issues.  Of course if all you are doing is storing the
search strategies that you created, well I would assume that
you would be the creator and therefore hold "copyright"
Just my two cents worth
Lea Starr, Reference Service
University of Alberta Health Sciences Library
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada