When I was conducting a GRATEFUL MED training session in a
border town in Arizona, a public librarian was present.  After the
session we walked through a search for her to familiarize herself
with the program.  The topic she choose was "heart attack".  We
searched using those words and retrieved very little, but looking at
the MeSH headings after the search, she was able to determine that
myocardial infarction (a term she'd never heard before) might be a
better term to use.  We went back and reran the search using that
term and of course, you can imagine the amount of information we
found.  My point is this:  YOU GET OUT OF MEDLINE WHAT YOU ASK FOR -
LITERALLY.  If that author's search missed something, it's not the
fault of MEDLINE, but of the searcher and the search strategy.
Thefact that a health professional performed this search and that a
reputable (I assume) journal published the results, speaks to the
fact that we as librarians are not doing enough to promote
ourselves, our skills, and our profession.  A little grassroots
promotion is in order, I think.
Pat [log in to unmask]