You are almost correct.  The Grateful Med software must reside on a local
computer that is true.  At NIH the PC version of the Grateful Med software
has been loaded on a mainframe controlled by the Division of Computer
Research and Technology.  LAN coordinators in the various Institutes
download it to LANS throughout NIH.  From the LAN, individuals connected to
the network download the software to their own PCs. This version of Grateful
Med accesses the computers at NLM via the Internet through NCSA telnet or
PC/TCP.  We support the network version of Grateful Med for MACs as well, but
do not yet distribute it over the NIH Network.  Users without network
connection can dial in using local phone lines here in Bethesda.  We also
give GM disks to NIHers who ask for them at the Reference Desk.

This is all part of our agreement with NLM to provide access to the NLM
databases for NIH staff.  We have a flat rate for unlimited use of the
databases whether people use GM or command language.

I hope this clarifies the Grateful Med on the Internet issue at least here at
NIH.

Suzanne Grefsheim, Director
NIH Library
301/496-2447
REPLY FROM: Grefsheim, Suzanne
Microsoft Mail v3.0 IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note