An alternative scenario to paranoia over the new JCAHO standards is one we
are working on at my hospital.  Due in part to JCAHO and some administrative
reorganization, a new administrative division responsible for Information
Strategic Planning is being set up.

Headed by a Chief Information Officer, the departments reporting will be
Information Services (the data processing), Health Information Management
(yes, what we all still call it Medical Records), Health Sciences Library
("Knowledge based information") and Telecommunications (today our phone
system, tomorrow........?!)

I have had several extremely interesting discussions with our Director of
Health Information Mangement  about information planning, access, etc and
and we are looking forward to working on what we see as opportunites
presented in by the standards for both of our departments.

We are being surveyed next week by the JCAHO under the 1993 standards.
After 20 years in hospital libraries of varying size, I've found them
to be a lot of prepartion time spent in order to have a surveyor come
through, spend a few minutes, and tell me what a nice library we have
(complete with Index Medicus, no less!)

I see a lot of hard work and intellectual challenge ahead helping my
organization prepare for the next survey three years from now.   Under all the
fancy language and labels, I see a lot of opportunties for libraries to
work with other departments in the hospital  to coordinate information
delivery.

I'd be interested in hearing about activities in other hospital as we gear
up for the changes.

Barb Brian
Health Sciences Library
Hennepin County Medical Center