I am outreach coordinator for the National Network of Libraries of
Medicine, New England Region.  I present Grateful Med to health care
professionals at conferences and workshops and always make one point
very clear:  Grateful Med is not a substitute for a librarian.

Our mandate from the Federal government is that we do outreach to
UNAFFILIATED health care professionals; i.e.; those professionals who
do not have access to a medical library.  The software is inexpensive
because the Federal govenment wants to encourage those in private
practice or small clinics to access the literature.  I have presented
Grateful Med to individuals who also have access to libraries and have
stressed that their librarian is always their best source.  It is our
belief that one very affordable way to improve health care in this
country is to have professionals who are aware of the most current
developments in the literature.

We also ask Grateful Med users to use the NN/LM as a resource with
their search strategy.  We are available at 1-800-338-7657 and will
gladly assist anyone who calls us.

Grateful Med allows a rural clinic in Maine or a community center in
Woonsocket access to medical information when their budgets would
never be able to justify the purchase of a CD-ROM player or a database
subscription.  Most offices have a computer and only need to purchase
a modem.  As an MLS, I feel I am providing the same service I did when
working in a library -- helping patrons to access information.