Joanne:

I am also replying to the list, since there has been so much discussion about
reporting structures in hospital libraries.

I report to the Director of Medical Records, and am ambivalent about the
situation.  On the one hand, I feel that I should be reporting to either the
hospital administrator or to to one of the assistant administrators; on the
other hand, I am also dealing with personal chemistry here.  I get along well
with my supervisor, he is sympathetic to my needs in the library, and has
always come to my aid whenever I ask for anything (such as additional support
staff, a new updated computer, etc.).  Each of the three assistant
administrators (one for nursing; one for administrative services, such as lab,
radiology, pharmacy, etc.; and one for finance) either uses the library very
little, is indifferent to it, or doesn't have a wide enough scope of knowledge
that could encompass the library world.  My fear is that to report to one of
them will mean that I will really get lost in the shuffle, even though I have
moved up one level in the reporting structure.  Quite honestly, if I felt
that it would work to the library's benefit to move one level up, I would
long ago have broached the issue.

I agree with Sue Jagels comment about the new JCAHO standards, however. After
seeing the draft, I can see that there really needs to be a whole new
structure in hospitals that would include "information services."  I think
hospital librarians often feel as though they are the third arm that nobody
quite knows what to do with.  An "information services" division in the
hospital could conceivably also help the various computer systems within my
hospital link up to provide more efficient and extensive information.  It
could be very exciting.  The library could become part of a hospital-wide
network, not just a necessary but puzzling extra limb.

I could go on.  However, I would mention these changes in the JCAHO standards
to your hospital V.P.  This may be the way to go, and certainly makes more
sense.  I intend to mention the same on my end.  Your comments inspired me.

Kathy Martin
Willamette Falls Hospital
Oregon City, OR