One of our internists is looking for a VALIDATED inventory or rating scale or
such for scoring physical symptom severity by patients.  He would like to be
able to use the instrument for research purposes.  He is hoping for a
questionnaire that he can send home with patients and that they can fill out
and return.

I've done some looking around in the medical literature and in the guides to
questionnaire-like research tools and have not turned up anything appropriate.
I've found some references to published questionnaires that query the patients'
perception of the severity of symptoms and look at the tendency to somaticize
symptoms from a psychological point of view.  The few references I've found to
surveys that look at physical symptoms in an attempt to guage how physically
ill the person is are either informally produced by the researchers (and not
validated) or rely on the judgement of the health care provider and not the
report of the patient.

Has anyone heard about a research scoring system for guaging the severity of
symptoms through the self-report of the patient?

Thanks,

Margaret L. Thompson