OK, there are (as I suspected) good reasons to trademark FreeNet, especially
to indicate affiliation with a specific organization.  (Actually, I mean
servicemark FreeNet, if there is such a word.)  But it seems to me that the
natural consequence of such an act is to increase the amount of litigation,
or at least "cease and desist" letters in the world, and this is a bad thing,
IMHO.  The only way to protect a mark is to advertise the fact that it is
your mark, and to take action against others who may unknowingly appropriate
its use.  Seems to me that community network organizers have many other more
important challenges without having to deal with (excuse me) more lawyers.

Look at the term InterNet (which I assume is not a service mark).  Has there
been any negative fallout from the lack of service mark protection?  Would
it really matter if someone tried to start their own InterNet(tm) brand world
wide electronic network?

Keeping it simple means (pardon me) keeping the lawyers out of it.

Mike Ellsworth