On Tue, 21 Sep 1993, Miles R Fidelman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 1993, Taylor Walsh wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21 Sep 1993, Christopher P. Tully wrote:
> >
> > > The difference is that no one could get a trade or service mark
for the
> > > name Internet, because it is in such common use now
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken, there is a company called Internet, Inc. which
has
> > been around for years, providing the data links for bank ATM
networks.

> There's also the Internet Company, which publishes electronically to
the
> net (they're the folks who do the Electronic Newstand and the
Commerce
> Business Daily online).  They've also snarfed up the domain
internet.com

But does either of them have a Trademark?  Or are they just using the
name?  Either way, The Internet is a pretty commonly known entity, and
either one of these companies would have a hard time defending their
exclusive right to the name.  Of course, according to my understanding
of trademark law, The Internet, Internet, Internet, Inc., and Internet
Company are all theoretically different, seperately trademarkable
names.

This is just my $0.02 worth.  It is VERY possible, and even likely that
I am dead wrong.

Chris
Christopher P. Tully                            [log in to unmask]
Univ. of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
CB# 7525                                        (919) 966-2699
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
I get paid for my opinions, but that doesn't mean that UNC or anybody
                     else agrees with them.