from paranet
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 93 20:36:06 mdt
From: [log in to unmask] (John DeBruyn)
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]

On (19 Sep 93) Steve Cavrak wrote to COMMUNET mailing list...

 SC > Actually, COMMUNET wasn't intended to be just a "freenet" list -
 SC > freenet being just one of the possible scenarios for community based
 SC > networking.  Other scenarios include any of the BBS systems out there,
 SC > public access unix systems in general, MOO, MUD, etc., etc.

I have been following the Communet mailing list for about three months
and have noticed very little interaction between the world of the
Freenets/Community Nets (larger systems in about a dozen plus cities
with a large number of interested communities looking into the idea) and
the world of FidoNet.  FidoNet concists of about 25,000 BBSs world wide
plus several times more that are not interconnected through FidoNet's
intersystem netmail (email) and echos (newsgroups).

My guess is that the majority of the BBSs in the FidoNet are free to
their users and many them are interested in connectivity.  Has anyone
proposed a means of creating a bridge between these two worlds.  There
are a lot of good ideas being implimented on the Freenet and other
"Community" systems that the participants in this mailing list are
involved with.

 SC > (Freenet, or is it FreeNET, or, ???, is, as we've been reminded, a
 SC > trademark - and should be used in the narrow context. I think the
 SC > "freenet-tech" list was intended in that light -- questions about TBBS
 SC > or First Class or whatever would be a bit out of their charter.)

One advantage of interaction would be the exchange of ideas regarding
software and hardware to be utilized in the provision of inexpensive and
user friendly online services--systems that nontechnical volunteers can
run on inexpensive computers.  Community based groups may find technical
assistance available from sysops of exising BBS systems.  I wonder if
this has been explored.

As the FidoNet world is becoming more and more connected email and
newsgroup wise to the Internet, these BBS packages evolve in that
direction as well and be able to deliver what the "community" network
systems linked with the Internet are looking for.

As a IBM/clone PC person (such persons, I would venture, represent a
majority of the potential adult users of community online systems) I
find a number of BBS software packages used in the FidoNet much easier
to use than Unix based software.  (I may well be biased on this account
because of my begining my online experience with PC based systems.)

I am going to post this in the Internet Echo on the FidoNet as well.
Hope to get some conversations going.

Thanks,

John DeBruyn (also [log in to unmask])
--
John DeBruyn - via ParaNet node 1:104/422
UUCP: !scicom!paranet!User_Name