Could someone post a listing of all listservers concerned with community
networks?  There seem to be a few out there and I would like to get to
know all who active in this field.

I am especially interested in community and regional networks in the
developing world.  I am presently involved in several projects in the
Pacific islands aimed at giving the actual households terminals where they
can access networks and bulletin boards where villages and regions can
consult on how they wish to implement social and economic development and
coordinate their activities to this end.  Of the three and a half to four
billion rural poor in the world there are quite a few who have a decent
enough cash flow to afford a terminal for their household or village and
invariably have plenty of youth who are enthusiastic to be trained in
computers, networking, cash flow planning and financial management.  As
the villagers consult on the results of their various endeavors a solid
consensus will build on what the best assets are with which they can
achieve a viable economic return while enhancing their spiritual, social,
environmental and cultural lives.  At present it is shocking how much the
rural poor of the third world are spending on consumption items of the
developed world which not only rarely yield an economic return but also
corrupt their higher aspirations and bind them into a "Cycle of Poverty".

Especially in the developing world, community networks have the potential
to provide a vehicle for consensus making and activity coordination which
will allow the common people to recognize their best ideas through
sustained observation and experimentation.  We in the developed world
would have a great deal to learn from our third world brethren as they
turn their slavery to economic forces over which they have little control
into empowerment to apply their wisdom, values and culture in developing
an economic system of their choice.

I look forward to your feedback.

Geoffrey Hougland