Chris Tulley sez:

> No complaints about posting the info (the Clinton press release that
> you sent to COMMUNET).  Thanks.  I just wish I had time to read it
> all!

Andy Orem didn't feel such postings were relevant to Communet.  So, OK,
Andy, permit me, if I may to call and raise you one -- and a General
Question to the Communet crowd:

What is the role of the community network in delivering health services,
providing health care information, or better informing the public about
alternative and preventive health care strategies?  And further, how
could -- or should -- community networks become involved in the health
care debate to promote and encourage broader public participation in
health policy, provision of home-care services or promotion of healthy and
sustainable community?

I guess my opinion would be that health care is a fairly important service
area for a community network worth its salt.  After all, the first Freenet
evolved out of a medical school.  Broadcasting tidbits of what the
Administration thinks its doing in this regard is perhaps a little less
useful.  However, what do we do if we find ourselves in the position of
being civic networking practitioners developing relationships with local
medical providers, state and county government and the Feds -- in creating
innovative and effective ways to use information infrastructure to make a
difference in improving the public health?  Shouldn't we be kind of
interested in this new debate that's about to explode?  It's always
easiest to shape the direction of new policy at the outset, before its
formed, than later when "inertial guidance" sets in.

Center for Civic Networking                        Richard Civille
P.O. Box 65272                                     Washington Director
Washington, DC 20035                               [log in to unmask]
(202) 362-3831