  Also, from Ottawa's
>experience, the centralized model is a real problem.  They have 22 phone
>lines, and can't handle the volume.  People are frustrated with busy
>signals all the time.  For me:

Just a very small correction to this interesting and valuable posting:

National Capital FreeNet (Ottawa) now has 69 phone lines. Busy signals were
a really aggravating problem, but aren't at the moment.

I suspect they will be again. NCF suffers from success: 11,000 users now, as
compared to the founding Board's projection of 10,000 by March/94.

NCF also suffers from the unresolved technical difficulties of running a
bilingual system. A vigorous francophone group is working on this.

I'm told that Toronto's FreeNet aborning (they hope to be up and running next
spring) wants to be genuinely multi-lingual. I fear for them.

--
Peter Martin, in the heart of Sandy Hill
        Snailmail and visitors: #1-131 Osgoode St, Ottawa K1N 6S5.