Richard Fisher writes:
>     My understanding of military computer security is that if a system
> contains top secret information, it is not on the Internet.  I believe
> that that is federal law.
>
>     Does anyone know more about this?

During my tenure in aerospace, computer systems containing classified
information were housed in screen rooms and were not connected to
other systems.  The requirements were spelled out in the DOD Industrial
Security Manual.  I do not know if the regulations had the force of law,
but compliance was always a *contractual* requirement.  Mostly, we were
concerned with an outside party reading information on the system, not
with someone tampering with data.

Computerized voting will require a tamper-proof voting mechanism and a
secure way to transmit the data.  Secure data transmission is
prohibitively expensive if equipment is built per DOD quality
requirements.  And, it probably would need to be.

In California we use a manual punch card system.  It's as secure as
anything else (two people from each precinct drive the cards to a central
facility) and is reasonably efficient.

Keith A. Kurtz                    Internet: [log in to unmask]
Project Manager                    US Mail: 1685 Main Street
Public Electronic Network                   Santa Monica, CA  90401
City of Santa Monica                 Voice: 310-458-8383
California, USA                        FAX: 310-395-2343