I strongly agree with your call for enforcement of term limits - that
might be the only practical way to eliminate politics as a "career" and
force the "inside-the-beltway" mafia to at least have to go find a fresh
face to front their scams every few terms.  The difficulty with trying to
really "cleanse" Washington is that the pros who really run this town are
exceedingly skilled at identifying "effective" outsiders and seducing them
into the fold often before that person even realizes they are being had.
Once they've "got" you, it is virtually impossible to either cut your way
out or be truly effective as an independent force.  The hand that gently
scratches your back has claws that can rip your guts out if you fall out
of line.

When I was 18 I thought I knew the answer, when I was 30 I didn't give a
damn and now that I'm 44 I realize with sadness that there probably just
isn't an answer.