To Madeline Gonzalez, wherever I may find her:
Sorry, I deleted your address.  Here's a better reference to Ithiel
Pool.  I recommend the first one on social impact, it's really
great.

Pool, Ithiel de Sola, Editor.  The Social Impact of the Telephone.
(Cambridge, Massachusetts : MIT Press, 1977).

     Pierce, John R. "The Telephone and Society in the Past
     100 Years."  Chapter 7.

     Keller, Suzanne.  "The Telephone in New (and Old)
     Communities."  Chapter 13.

***_________.  Technologies Without Boundaries: On
Telecommunications in a Global Age.  (Harvard University Press,
1990).

__________.  Technologies of Freedom.  (Cambridge, Massachusetts :
President and Fellows of Harvard College, 1983)

***_________.  Forecasting the Telephone. (Ablex, 1983).

The *** indicate books that I identified for a paper but have not
actually seen.  Good Luck.
    Bill Langham              BITNET: [log in to unmask]
   82 Central Avenue       INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
   Rye, NY 10580-2818

   Take what you need & leave the rest ** Hunter/Garcia
   914-967-0341 (only)