> However, I would like to point out that much of the Internet
> has nothing to do with grants, government help, or the NII,
> and hasn't for years.
>
> [stuff deleted]
>
> Indeed.  However, the Internet is so much bigger than anything else and
> growing so fast (see the December 1993 Matrix News for sizes and growth
> rates) that its importance is increasing.  Users of it and other
> networks, such as FidoNet, would do well to work for their vision of
> the future of the Matrix before someone else determines it for them.

Agreed. My statement was mostly a response to the sense I have that
people are pinning their hopes for ubiquitous, world-wide, two-way,
many-to-many access on governments, corporations, institutions, and people,
that have betrayed us too many times in the past.

Until such time as the dreamed of networks become as common as the
telephone, as easy to use as a pencil, as trustworthy as my dog, and as
safe as masturbation, we would be wise to take a few dollars out of the
bank, and store them in the mattress.

Art McGee [[log in to unmask]]