Alot of action going on over the weekend :-).

So let's do it!  While a newsgroup would currently provide greater
reading/administrative flexibility, a mailing list sounds like it
would provide greater accessability, which I believe is the most
important consideration right now.  We can always figure out how
to gateway it into, eg. a Usenet group, later.

So...
- Can somone volunteer a mailing list server?
- I'd be happy to help administer such a beast, but have alot going
on right now can't offer to do it solo.  Is someone interested in
helping out with this?

Perhaps the initial focus could be on applications of technology
to non-profits and those they serve.  I know, still quite encompassing.
But it could get refined as we go.  My particular interest is on the
"those they serve" part.. i.e., the *people* and hte issues that they
deal with, and not so much the administrative aspects. I.e., how technology
and especially telecom can be used to help people empower themselves.
Specific issues folks are dealing with, and how technology and telecom
might be able to help them help themselves.
Specific discussions on what information/services the people who are
not currently driving on this "Info Highway" would find useful, helpful.
With a focus of trying to prevent a worsening of this "information
have/have not" situation.
So maybe a name like SocialNet (or something better: it's Monday :-) )
is more what I had in mind..

I'd like to hear what others are envisioning?
Let's try to keep this all on one thread so as not to clutter up
COMMUNET while we work out the details of a new gathering place.

I'd also be happy to help with a gopher site.. the WELLgopher sounds
like a great place to me.  But wherever it winds up being.. just
providing info on the diverse networks and services that currently
exist would be great.  I've been accumulating responses to my prior
queries, would he happy to help structure a gopher area.

Madeline