I would just like to add my two cents worth to this discussion.

Fair use is not fair.  If I buy a journal I expect to scan the whole issue.
If I have to pay 5 times the price of the journal, I should have the right
to use the full contents 5 times.  Since most physicians send secretaries
to copy articles they want to scan, 5 times the number of source articles
equals fair use.  The notion that people go to the library to read journals
and only copy what they are going to "use" is ludicrous.  Libraries and
individuals copy articles based on bibliographies from indexes.

Judy Wilkerson