On Fri, 25 Feb 1994, Lisa Schiff wrote:

> utilities, if for some reason a city-owned utility found that it were
> running at a profit, it could (and should) reduce rates and/or use those
> profits to ensure affordability for everyone.

The purpose of my remarks wasn't to argue against the public utility
model for a community network.  On the contrary, I think there's a great
deal of merit to the idea, as long as the tendency toward empire-building
can be successfully resisted.

In the business world these days, the watchword seems to be "lean and
mean"; for a public utility network, I would suggest this be modified to
"lean and compassionate".

Jim Frame   [log in to unmask]   (916) 756-8584 (916) 756-8201 (FAX)
Frame Surveying & Mapping    2038 East 8th Street   Davis, CA   95616