On Fri, 25 Feb 1994, Jim Frame ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 1994, Steve Cisler wrote:
>
> > Some places like Glendale, CA believe that a city run information network
> > can make a profit.  It is pretty rare for municipal utility systems to
>
> I think this would be an unfortunate trend, unless the "profit" were used
> to subsidize access for lower-income residents.  Assuming that a

> revenue-producing business, as the profit would be coming out of the
> pockets of the citizenry as a whole.

I am not sure I see the problem here.  The money either comes from profit
on something like this or taxes (possibly increased taxes) to do the same
thing.  At least the profit would come from those that use the system.
Taxes definitely come from everyone.

I. Scott Campbell, Ph.D.            Internet: [log in to unmask]
Crop Management Information Spec.     Bitnet: [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Agronomy and Soil Sci.,        CBIS: (808) 956-2626
Univ. of Hawaii, 1910 East-West Rd.,   Voice: (808) 956-6971
Honolulu, HI 96822.                      Fax: (808) 956-2618 or 6539