My apologies for posting to the list; when I tried to send to Loretta,
our mailer couldn't find acd2.alaska.edu.  K MacNeil
Loretta, I have looked for spay stats for you - cannot give you an
exact figure, but here's what I found:

The Veterinary Service Market for Companion Animals; 1992 (Center for
Information Management; American Veterinary Medical Association) has
a table on p. 40 which shows Services & Products Provided at Last Veteri
ary Visit for Dogs, 1987, 1991.  It states that in 1991, Neuter/Spay was
provided at 8.4% (which I interpret to mean, at 8.4% of the last visit,
a dog was either spayed or neutered). On p. 42 another talbe, Veterinary
Visits per year for Dogs, 1983, 1987, 1991, states that in 1991, there
were 2.64 mean visits per household and 1.88 mean visits per dog.
Finally, on p. 23 a table, Trends in Dog Ownership, 1983, 1987, 1991,
states that in 1991 36.5 % of households owned a dog, 34.6 million
households owned a dog,& 52.5 million dogs were owned with a mean number
of dogs per household being 1.52.

Perhaps with this data, you can establish a reasonable estimate of the
number of spays/neuters per year.

You may want to call the AVMA; they may have worked it out already -
and they may have more recent data.  The AVMA is located in Schaumburg,
Illinois, and their phone number is 1-800-248-2862.

I will fax the pages I cited if you want them.

Hope this helps!

Kathrine MacNeil  k-macneil at tamvm1.tamu.edu  Medical Sciences Library
Tx A&M University  College Station, Tx.  77843