Thought this booklist might be interesting to some of you.  It is taken
from:
Jackson, Donna. (1994, February 3).  Books can help children cope with
death.  Greeley Tribune, Preview, p. 30.
I find that I don't have time to keep up on this type of readers advisory
responsibility, so I always benefit from this type of list.  Hope this
helps some of you.
The article was written by a local bookstore owner with help from Dre
Dufford, bereavement coordinator of the Hospice of Northern Colorado.
Since the list is from a bookseller, I am assuming titles are still in
print.  If you would like a copy of the complete article (includes
annotations for each title, please contact me at [log in to unmask]

Preschoolers:
Buscaglia, Leo.  The Fall of Freddie the Leaf.
dePaola, Tommie.  Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs. Putnam, 1973.
Viorst, Judith. The Tenth Good Thing About Barney.  Atheneum, 1971.
Breebaart, Joeri & Piet. When I Die, Will I Get Better?  Peter Bedrick
     Books, 1993.

Elementary School Children
Smith, Doris Buchanan.  A Taste of Blackberries.  Crowell, 1973.
Miles, Miska. Annie and the Old One. Little, Brown, and Co., 1971.
Patterson, Katherine.  Bridge to Terabithia.  Avon Books, 1977.
White, E.B. Charlotte's Web.
Kaldhol, Marit. Goodbye Rune. Kane Miller, 1987.
Krementz, Jill.  How It Feels When a Parent Dies. Knopf, 1981.
Jordan, Mary Kate.  Losing Uncle Tom.  Albert Whitman and Company, 1989.
Carrick, Carol.  The Accident.  Seabury Press, 1976.

Adolescents
Lowry, Lois.  A Summer To Die. Bantam Books, 1977.
Gravelle, Karen and Haskin, Charles. Teenagers Face to Face With
     Bereavement. Messner, 1989.

Books for Parents
LaTour, Kathy.  For Those Who Live.  1983.
Schaefer, Dan and Lyons, Christine.  How Do We Tell The Children? Newmarket
     Press, 1988.
Grollman, Earl. Talking About Death: A Dialogue Between Parent and Child.
     Beacon, 1990.
Lynne M. Fox                       [log in to unmask]
James A. Michener Library          303/351-1534 (voice)
University of Northern Colorado    303/351-2540 (fax)
Greeley, CO  80639
"Tigger, I'd be happy to tell you my secret for winning at Pooh sticks.
You just have to drop your stick in a twitchy sort of way." - Eeyore