On Thu, 5 May 1994, Pat McClanahan wrote:

> ZOE HOYLE says
> >I am connected with the University VAX by modem at this time and
> >cannot, it seems, use Mosaic.

> Mosaic is a X window application - thus it will not run over a modem
> unless you are using SLIP or PPP programs that will allow your PC (or
> Mac) to talk in the same communication protocol as Mosaic and other X
> window programs. However unless you have special software to allow
> your Mac to display X windows you can't do this anyway - unless your
> Mac is running some version of Unix.

This is not correct in entirety.  There are 3 flavors of Mosiac available
as NCSA -- X-Windows, Windows for the PC, and Mac for the Macintosh.
X-Windows may have been the first out but the others work fine.

I am running Mosoic on my '486 66 MHz pc under MS Windows 3.1 with
absolutely no problems.  I am using a winsock that came with Lantastic
for Windows.

What is required is an equivalent of a TCP/IP connection.  And
considering how slow it is to bring down some pages even on my 10 Mbit
ethernet connection (LAN to WAN) using even a 28 K modem connection would
be pure torture.