Date:  April 28, 1994       11:55 am PT   Item: 203PW0H

From:  HN0186          Nat'l Eco Dev & Law Ctr, CA

To:    INTERNET        [log in to unmask]

Subj:  Opposing Liquor Billboards In Inner Cities

Liquor and billboards

Can anyone provide me with contact info on grassroots groups fighting
liquor billboard ads in inner-cities.  Is there such a campaign in
Baltimore?  (As I understand it, liquor companies disproportionately target
racial minority and poor areas for billboard adds --  a problem for any
community given the potential problems caused by liquor consumption by
youths.  According to a report by the United States General Accounting
Office, youths who consume liquor at an early are more likely than youths
who don't to graduate to more intense drug use) (see US. GAO Report to the
Chairman, Subcommittee on Children, Family, Drugs and Alcoholism, Committee
on Labor and Human Resources, United States Senate. "Drug Use Among Youth:
No Simple Answers To Guide Prevention", December 1993 [GAO/HRD-94-24]).

Thank you

Anthony Daysog
nat'l Econ Dev and Law Center
HN0186