Folks,

Several Internet service providers are working on a disk(s) to give to
their subscribers which would set them up to run Mosaic and other TCP/IP
programs on their home Macs and Windows computers. The disk(s) would use
installer software which would, with one mouse click, install the following
software, configured for use with the provider's system:

MacTCP
MacSlip
Eudora (for email)
Mosaic
Turbogopher
Fetch (ftp)
Nuntius (news)
NCSA Telnet

(These examples are for Mac; the disk for Windows users would contain
another suite. The programs will differ from provider to provider. The
above are my current favorites. The point is that a provider, by giving
subscribers a particular suite of programs, can more easily support them.)

Your provider is in the best position to set you up to run TCP/IP programs
over SLIP or PPP. If you can find a local provider who offers such a disk
you won't have to:

configure MacTCP and MacSLIP
        your provider will have done this for you
know Internet protocols
know Unix
use a terminal emulator
        which turns a Mac or Windows computer into a relic of the 1970's

The main problem with this is that it takes a Mac or a Windows computer,
which are not yet as cheap as they will be.

But I believe we need to make it as easy as possible to use TCP/IP
programs, not only because they're prettier and more fun, but because
they're easier to use - especially if you are more visual than textual -
and that's a lot of people.

Tom

Tom Newman
Internet: [log in to unmask]