Thomas Andrew Newman writes:
> Several Internet service providers are working on a disk(s) to give to
> their subscribers which would set them up to run Mosaic and other TCP/IP
> programs on their home Macs and Windows computers.

I did a pair of Internet tutorials at Chicago's Randolph Street Gallery
a few weeks ago, and InterAccess Co., a local provider, was kind enough
to provide me with a SLIP account and their two-disk "Plug n' Play
Internet" kit, which they sell to their subscribers for $15.  I used
the Windows version, which includes Eudora, ftp, the Trumpet
newsreader, Mosaic, gopher, IRC, archie, telnet, tn3270, finger, and
message of the day.  True, you could spend a few hours running around
the net grabbing this stuff for nothing, but it takes time, and
configuring it all can be a nightmare.  It really was as simple as
running an install program and keying in the userid/password.

They're not the only ones doing this -- their competitor, MCSNet offers
a similar deal called PackRat -- but I was impressed with these guys.
I was also impressed with the SLIP/shell mix in Chicago; it seems to be
half and half, since both InterAccess and MCSNet offer flat rate
(~$30/month) SLIP accounts.  We're still paying by the hour here in San
Francisco with Netcom and CRL.

You can contact InterAccess at 9400 W. Foster, Suite 111, Chicago, IL
60656, or write [log in to unmask]

--
  Eric S. Theise <[log in to unmask]>
  P.O. Box 460177, San Francisco, CA 94146.0177