To All:

A firm that I've done some consulting for here in Pittsburgh -- The infoWorks
Partnership -- is very seriously considering sponsoring and holding a national
conference on Community Information Networks here in Pittsburgh or in Baltimore
sometime during the last quarter of 1994.

I am considering retiring from my position at the University of Pittsburgh's
Graduate School of Public and International Affairs in the near future and
joining the infoWorks folks full-time.  What they (i.e., we) need to know
is what interest is out there for this type of conference.

Based on the incredible response to Apple Library of Tomorrow's conference
in Cupertino, we feel there is a need for this type of conference.

Who would we want to see there?......
- Reps from C.I.N.s across the country and world
- Librarians
- Planners
- Government officials
- Private industry interested in community networks
- Information scientists
- Software reps who can contribute to the increased efficiency of these nets
- Reps from communities large and small interested in establishing a CIN
- Foundations
- Economic development officials
- Students

The list can go on and on and at the risk of offending audiences we didn't list,
we know there are hundreds more that are interested.

The basic theme of the conference would be somewhat similar to what Apple is
in the process of successfully presenting now in Cupertino. (We were not able
to secure a space in time.)  It would also have another important facet --
we would present speakers and officials from community information networks
who would provide a "How-to" for all present and interested in establishing
a community information network.

The infoWorks Partnership has found that most of the clients they've worked
with don't have the deep pockets or ample financial resources to bring in
a bevy of consultants to set up a network.  This conference will provide
the networking (used as a verb here) opportunity for those folks, as well
as the information they need to start down that road independent of the
consultant for a time until they've arived at the point financially
and developmentally they are comfortable with the consultant putting on
the finishing touches.

It's awfully sketchy right now, but a very real possibility.  infoWorks
needs to know, however, what interest would be out there for this.  It
would likely be a 3 (maybe 4) day conference in Pittsburgh or Baltimore,
and registration fees would run appx. $85 - $100 (max) and would include
breakfast and lunch each day of the conference.

They have a good idea on the speakers they'll be bringing in, and they
will be both important and relevant to the community information network
field.

Let them know what you think (YES / NO).  Thanks for the assistance, folks.

CD Rogers
Univ. of Pittsburgh