There have been a number of references comparing the efficacy of
Grateful Med vs "professional" (or mediated) searches lately.

As a "professional" searcher who uses the direct searching
capabilities of Grateful Med,  I suggest that this is comparing
apples and oranges.  I would agree that menu-driven searching
(no matter what front end software used) is less precise.  I
continue to believe that "endusers" with little knowledge of
search techniques will get a less satisfactory result than
a professional searcher who also knows the subject area.
Personally, I think that enduser CD-ROM searches will also tend
to be less satisfactory.

But for those who have never used GMed themselves, you might
want to try it.  You can jump directly online from outside the
program (by typing   search/d);   the permuterm subject index
with the tree structures is really useful, when you want to
check a subject heading while offline;  and I really like the
way you can write just the citations to a file.   I use the
text editor (ted) that comes with the program to pull up the
file, add the date, patrons name and subject on to the top and
then print it.

Writing this has made me really curious about what others
are doing to produce and print their mediated searches.  I will
be happy to summarize for the list if there is interest.  Forward
your replies to me at:

What software are you using to log into remote sites?

Do you just print the search as you go, or do you download
and reformat?  How?

Bet Ison
St. Claire Medical Center
Morehead, KY  40351