Date sent:      Fri, 24 Jun 1994 15:39:47 -0400
Send reply to:  Medical Libraries Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:           Conan the Librarian <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:        Help! Support for position upgrade needed
Originally to:  [log in to unmask]
To:             Multiple recipients of list MEDLIB-L <[log in to unmask]>

Help!  We've got an opportunity to upgrade our para-professional position to
a professional position, and need evidence for the "powers that be" to help
them "see the light" ("Tanya, where's that crowbar, anyway?").

The new (professional) position would be responsible for reference (and
other duties). Specifically, we need evidence why providing reference
services is a "professional" level activity, one that cannot be done (no
slight intended here...) by a para-professional--including, why can't a
para-professional (including one with minimal library background) take a
"seminar" and learn (gulp!) online searching?

Thanks in advance for your help.  Please respond directly to me (including
your flames for slighting the entire para-professiona population--I was one,
once, too you know...<g>).

                        Glenn Ferdman, MLS
        Foundation of Record Education (FORE) Library
of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
                919 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1400
                    Chicago, IL 60611-1683
         312-787-2672, x275   /    312-787-9793 (fax)
                             ***
                  [log in to unmask] (e-mail)

Please respond to the entire listserve.  I'm sure we all are faced
with this question.  My administrator wants to know why everyone in
the library (staff of two professionals, two library technicians and
a film clerk) cannot be completely cross trained to do everything
that needs doing, including original cataloging.  Insights and clever
arguements would be [log in to unmask]